If you are searching for the best sleeping bag for Philmont adventurous trip then you have to understand the weather conditions of that place.
At Philmont weather is not stable. It is recommended to buy a sleeping bag with a temperature rating of 20F.
But some expert trekkers used 40F-rated sleeping bags and feel very comfortable and happy with that.
So our aim is to choose a sleeping bag between 20 to 40F that would be perfect to survive in Philmont trek.
So the question is…
How To Choose The Right Sleeping Bag For Philmont?
At first, I clear my goal that is :
Temperature Range: 20 to 40F
Weight: 3lbs or below
Size: small, lightweight
At first, you have to understand which type of sleeping bags are available in the market and which one is best for the Philmont adventure trip.
Types of Sleeping Bags For Philmont
There are two types of sleeping bags available in the market:
- Polyester based sleeping bag
- Down sleeping bag
there are some pros and cons of each material which are :
Polyester Sleeping bag:
- Heavy and bulky
- Warm capability is less as compared to its weight
- Cheap in price
- It remains warm even it gets wet.
- It is less compressible.
- Not so durable and its warmth capability is reduced each time when you stuff it in a stuff sack.
Down Sleeping Bag:
- Light in weight and highly compressible.
- You can put them into a very small stuff sack.
- Light in weight and decent insulation.
- Its insulation power is reduced when it gets wet.
- When stored properly would deliver lost lasting performance.
I would recommend you to spend a little bit more money and go with down sleeping bags because they are light in weight, and highly effective to remain you warm in tough weather conditions.
They are future-proof if you are going to continue your hiking and camping trips in the future.
To prevent it to lose its loft keep it in a pillowcase or hanging in the closet.
But choosing the right sleeping bag is really a tricky task for those who don’t have any technical knowledge.
Also, there are many brands in the market that introduce their sleeping bag in every budget segment so choosing the right one becomes a little more complicated without proper knowledge.
After researching hours and reviewing tons of sleeping bags in the past few months we have listed some of the best sleeping bags for Philmont that give you the best value for your money.
so without further ados let’s get started…
5 Best Sleeping Bag For Philmont Detailed Review
1. Best Lightest & Warmest Sleeping Bag For Philmont
Best Under $200
- Available in 3 sizes Regular/short/women regular.
- Dimension: 78 x 29 x 8 inches.
- Available in 2 colors blue & purple.
- Fill material: down
- Outer Material: Nylon
- Weight: 2 pounds
The first sleeping bag on this list is from the Kelty Store. The sleeping bag delivers so much value at a very reasonable price.
The sleeping bag from Kelty comes with all the needy features that are sufficient to survive the Philmont trek.
The sleeping bag is designed in mummy shape and the filling material is down that is our priority.
The sleeping bag is made of water-resistant material and 600 fill DriDown works great and keeps the moisture out and keep you dry in a humid atmosphere.
It has a draft collar and comfortable hood and dual slider anti-snag zippers that are great.
Although the sleeping bag is rated with 20 degrees F tag, in my test its limit is around 30 degrees F. This is bearable as most expert trekkers carry a 40 Degree F sleeping bag, and it works great for them.
The bag has a small pocket outside that is really small for most electronic gadgets.
Overall a well-made and ultralight sleeping bag for your Philmont trip. You can’t find a better deal than any other at this surprising price range.
2. Best Lightest & Warmest Sleeping Bag (Teton Sports)
Best Under $100
- Available in 2 sizes Adult & Scout.
- Dimension: Adult / 0f / 87″ 34″ 22″
- Available in 2 colors black & green
- 40D Water-Resistant Ripstop
- Lining: Brushed Poly-Flannel
- Interior pockets for smartphone and keys.
- Weight: 3.5 pounds
Look at this sleeping bag cocoon shape design, it’s really appealing and effective warming solution for sleeping outdoors on a cold night at the Philmont Trek.
This is one of the best sleeping bags in terms of build quality and comfortability and I Really impressed with its quality at this price range.
The company used microfiber insulation in LEEF that has more loft and more compression capability than others.
There are two models of Teton sleeping bags under the budget of $100.
Which one is best Teton Sports LEEF Or Teton Altos?
- If we talk about the build quality then no doubt Teton LEEF is the clear winner because it is made of 40D Ripstop and Double-Brushed P5 Poly Hi-Count Liner.
Which is highly durable and in terms of keeping your body warm on a chilled night LEEF is better than Altos.
The Altos is made of 20D Ripstop and only 20D Nylon lining.
- I found LEEF is more comfortable than Altos due to its 40D Ripstop and double-layer Hi-count liner.
- The weight of both sleeping bags is almost the same.
- In terms of warmth experience, LEEF is better than Altos. Many people feel the sweat at 32 degrees F.
- Both sleeping bags are water-resistant and come with a compression sack so no rolling is needed simply start from the bottom and stuff the bag in.
- In terms of price, LEEF is a little bit cheaper than Altos which is also a plus point for it.
Overall a durable, very comfortable, and warm sleeping bag under the budget of $100.
3. Best Military Grade Sleeping Bag For Philmont
Best Under $200
- Available in 1 size
- Dimension: 16.5 x 16.1 x 5.5 inches.
- Available in 2 colors blue & purple.
- Outer Material: Nylon
- Weight: 3 pounds
This is a military–grade sleeping bag for your Philmont trip from Tennier Industry.
This is also a nice sleeping bag that satisfies our needs. The bag is designed with water-resistant ripstop nylon.
Its insulation works great even if it gets wet. Its bearable temperature range is between 30 to 50 Degree F and enough for your Philmont trip.
I really like its large zippers and anti-snag nylon along with its zipper prevent unwanted snag that is really helpful.
The downside of this sleeping bag is it is available in only one size that is not suitable for others as they face a deep footrest inside it.
Overall a nice sleeping bag at a very reasonable price range that is lightweight, warm, and water-resistant.
4. Best Light Weight Hydrophobic Sleeping Bag ( Hyke & Byke)
- Available in 3 sizes short, regular & large.
- available in 3 colors.
- Available in 3 temperature options.
- Weight as per size: Short: 2.63 lbs., Regular: 2.8 lbs. & Long: 3.13 lbs.
- 400T 20 D ripstop nylon fabric
If you are looking for an ultralightweight sleeping bag for your next adventure trip on Philmont like an adventurous trek then must check out this one.
The sleeping bag from Hyke & Byke.
The sleeping bag is made of 400T 20D Ripstop Nylon fabric which is I think not good as compared to Teton LEEF which is made of 40D Ripstop Nylon and is better than this.
In terms of weight, it is better than Teton LEEF. This is considered for those who want to pack light and walk a long distance.
The sleeping bag comes with internal down filling which is better than synthetic filling variants in terms of comfortability.
If we talk about its size then my height is around 5.7 and weight 150 and I feel comfortable in its regular size and have room to move around.
Now, let’s talk about the Warmth performance. The sleeping bag is not suitable for winter when the temperature is 15 degrees F or below. You can feel comfortable and sleep well if the temperature is between 30 to 50 F or more that is the idle temperature in Philmont in summer.
I think it is good for summer camping and if you want a sleeping bag for your winter adventure then go for the Teton LEEF which is a great option at a less price.
5. Best Ultralight & Compact Sleeping Bag(Litume Store)
Small and light as a 500ml water bottle
- Dimension: 8 x 5 x 5 inches
- available in 2 colors Green & Red.
- Outer material: 100% Nylon
- Temperature Rating: Extreme to comfort 48F to 68F.
- Weight: 1.28 pounds
If you are looking for, and Ultralight super compact sleeping bag for your Philmont trip that is almost unnoticed on your rucksack then must have a look at this sleeping bag.
The sleeping bag from Litume Store is known for its compact size. Look at the above picture, its height is just 8 inches in a compression sack.
The one downside of this sleeping bag is, that it is available only in one size but I found it has enough room for a 6′ person.
The built quality is also good due to the Nylon fabric used. The sleeping bag is water-resistant and breathable so it keeps you warm but keeps the moisture out.
The sleeping bag is comfortable due to the Nylon fabric being used and it has enough room for your feet and keeps them warm.
The company claim that this is good for temperature between 8 to 20-degree Celsius and this is true even though some people find this sleeping bag comfortable and warm at 6 to 7-degree celsius.
Overall this is an Ultralightweight sleeping bag for your Philmont trip that size is almost a 500ml water bottle.
Best Sleeping Bag For Philmont (FAQ)
What is the Philmont Sleeping Bag Rating?
Philmont community listed that a sleeping bag must be between 20 Degree F to 30 Degree F would be best suitable to bear the cold weather condition in the Philmont trek.
Here, in this article, we’ve listed some best sleeping bags in the budget that comes with a defined temperature rating.
Which Sleeping Bag is Best For Philmont Adventurous Trip?
If I talk about the weight to warmth ratio the sleeping bag from Kelty comes with all the required features that I’ve listed in the buying guide.
The sleeping bag from Kelty is a down-filling sleeping bag that has very nice insulation and compression capability and also it is a very lightweight sleeping bag.
That also helps to pack light and walk longer.
Wrap Up On Best Sleeping Bag For Philmont
I hope this article really helps you to choose the right sleeping bag for your budget.
The Kelty sleeping bag is for those who don’t want to compromise their comfort level, weight, and quality.
If you are on a tight budget and don’t want to spend much on a sleeping bag then Teton LEEF would be the right choice for you.
If you want a lightweight sleeping bag then Litume can provide a more compressed and lighted pack for your Philmont trip.